Just a quick reminder that H.R.2358, a bill to amend title XIX of the Social Security Act to require Medicaid coverage for freestanding birth center services, has been introduced in the House. The American Association of Birth Centers explains that “it is critical that we remember that until this bill is passed, payment for birth centers and access to care are at risk, subject to the whim of your state politicians and administration staff,” and has compiled the following suggestions for taking action in support of the legislation:
1) CALL YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVES
- Ask them to co-sponsor and/or support H.R. 2358. Call again with the bill number even if you called before.
- Make a point to call all of the Representatives in your service area. If your Representatives are on the House Energy & Commerce Committee it is especially important for you to call them.
2) CALL YOUR U.S. SENATORS
- Ask them to sponsor and introduce a Senate version of H.R. 2358. This bill is a permanent solution to the payment crisis.
- Click here to find your Senators and their information.
Remember, PHONE CALLS are read effective than emails.
3) Continue to collect signatures for the Physician Letter.
We must show broad, nationwide support from physicians.
For additional information on the need for this legislation, see My’s Judy Norsigian’s recent statement on the issue, as well as these other previous posts.