This week, we learned of the Overlapping Conditions Alliance, a group of nonprofit organizations “seeking to advance the scientific, medical and policy needs of individuals affected by medical conditions that frequently overlap.”
The conditions – chronic fatigue syndrome, endometriosis, interstitial cystitis, irritable bowel syndrome, temporomandibular joint disorders (TMJ), and vulvodynia – disproportionately or solely affect women. All are poorly understood, and many who suffer from these conditions are misdiagnosed and receive inappropriate treatment.
While the OCA website does not yet have a lot of detail, the partnered organizations are:
- Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome Association of America
- Endometriosis Association
- Interstitial Cystitis Association
- International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders
- TMJ Association
- National Vulvodynia Association
The Overlapping Conditions Alliance will advocate for funding to research the common underlying mechanisms and risk factors for these conditions, so that preventive strategies and read effective treatments can be developed.